Martin L. CulpepperAssociate Professor
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
2000-2000, Lecturer, MIT
2001-2006, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
2006-Present, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
Other Related Experience
2006-Present, Assistand Director, MIT Laboratory for Manufacturing and Productivity
Consulting & Patents
- Teradyne, Inc.
- Rogers, Powers & Schwartz LLP
- Debris Cleaner With Compound Auger, US Patent No. 5, 784, 756
- QKC for Use in Assembly and Manufacturing Processes, US Patent No. 6,193,430
- Quasi-Kinematic Couplings for Use in Automotive Assembly, World Patent No. WO0062971A1
- Accurate, Precise, and Adjustable Kinematic Coupling Device, US Patent No. 6, 746,172
- Multiple Degree–of–Freedom Flexure Stage, Patent Pending.
- Multiple Degree–of–Freedom Compliant Mechanism," Patent Pending
- RIM Slot Filler Module and Method of Manufacturing the Same," Patent Pending.
Principal Publications (last five years)
- Culpepper, M. L., Slocum, A. H., Shaikh, F. Z., and Vrsek, G., "Quasi–kinematic Couplings for Low–cost Precision Alignment of High–volume Assemblies," J. of Mech. Des., 126 (4), 456–63, 2004.
- Culpepper, M. L., "Design of Quasi–Kinematic Couplings," Prec. Eng., 28 (3), 338–57, 2004.
- Culpepper, M. L. and Anderson, G., "Design of a Low–cost Nano–manipulator Which Utilizes a Monolithic, Spatial Compliant Mechanism," Prec. Eng., 28 (4), 469–82, 2004.
- Culpepper, M. L., Varadajan, K. M., and Dibiaso, C. M., "Design of Integrated Eccentric Mechanisms and Exact Constraint Fixtures for Micron–level Repeatability and Accuracy," Prec. Eng., 29 (1), 65–80, 2005.
- Culpepper, M. L. and Chen, S., "Design of a Compliant, Micro–scale, Six–axis Nanopositioner – The Micro–HexFlex," 30 (3), 314–24, 2006.
- Hubbard, N. B., Culpepper, M. L., and Howell, L. L., "Actuators for Micropositioners and Nanopositioners," Accepted for publication in Applied Mechanics Reviews.
- Chen, S., and Culpepper, M. L., "Design of Contoured Micro-scale Thermomechanical Actuators," Accepted for publication in The Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems.
- Mangudi K. V. and Culpepper, M. L, "Design of Hard Coated Hertzian Contacts for Precision Equipment," Accepted - pending final revisions.
- Mangudi K. V. and Culpepper, M. L, "A Dual-purpose Positioner-fixture for Precision Six-axis Positioning and Precision Fixturing – Part I: Modeling and Design," Accepted - pending final revisions.
- Mangudi K. V. and Culpepper, M. L, "A A Dual-purpose Positioner-fixture for Precision Six-axis Positioning and Precision Fixturing – Part II: Characterization and Calibration," Accepted - pending final revisions.
Scientific & Professional Societies
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
American Society for Precision Engineering (Director at large, 2006-present)
European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology
Honors & Awards
3M Innovation Grant (2006)
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, NSF Nanomanufacturing (2004)
TR100 award: One of the world’s top young innovators (2004)
Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching (2004)
Rockwell International Career Development Chair (2004)
R&D 100 Award: One of the 100 best new technical products of the year: HexFlex (2003)
Institutional and Professional Service (Last Five Years)
Graduate Admissions Committee (Departmental)
de Florez Award Coordinator (Departmental)
Hastopolous Award Committee (Departmental)
Manufacturing Search Committee (Departmental)
Design Search Committee (Departmental)
SEED Academy Advisory Board (Institute)
Committee for MLK Memorial Activities (Institute)
Converge Advisory Committee (Institute)
Co–chair, 4th International Symposium on Nanomanufacturing (2006)
Co-chair, 1st International Conference on Micro-Manufacturing (2006)
Panelist, NSF CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop at 33rd meeting of NAMRC (2005)
Oganizing Committee, 3rd International Symposium on Nanomanufacturing (2005)
Member, WTEC Panel on world-wide state of the art in Micromanufacturing (2005)
Panelist: Developments in Nanomanufacturing – ASME IMECHE (2005)
Member, ASME Micro/Nano Systems Committee (2005-present)
Organizing and Technical Program Committee, ASPE Annual Meeting (2004)
Organizer, Precisoin Compliant Mechanisms at ASME DETC (2004)
Proposal review (x3), NSF Nanomanufacturing Program (2003, 2004)