Henry S. MarcusProfessor, Mechanical Engineering - Marine Systems
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Research & Teaching Interests
Ocean Transportation Systems
Management of Marine Systems
Maritime Transportation Policy
Naval Ship Acquisition
B.S. 1965 Webb Institute of Naval Architecture
S.M. (Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering) 1967 MIT
S.M. (Shipping and Shipbuilding Management) 1967 MIT
Doctor of Business Administration 1970 Harvard University
Honors and Awards
William Selkirk Owen Award, Webb Institute, October 2008
Honorary Professor, Shanghai Maritime University, May 2004
Fellow of the Society, Society of Naval Architects and Marine
Engineers, October 2003
Member, American Bureau of Shipping, 1994
Third Matson Distinguished Professor, 1994
Second Paul Hall Memorial Lecture, 1989
MIT SNAME Student Section Teaching Award, 1986
Sixth Donald L. Kernan Lecture, 1983
First Jacob Hecht Memorial Lecture, 1980
The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
(Member of Council, 1982-1985)
American Society of Naval Engineers
Marine Technology Society
National Defense Transportation Association
Transportation Research Forum
- Marcus, H.S. and Abbott D. Weiss, "Using Operational Tactics to Improve Logistics", Indian Journal of Economics & Business, March 2008, pp. 83-89.
- Bess, H. David, Henry S. Marcus and Michael E. Valdez, "Government Transportation Statistics: Use With Caution: A Research Note," Transportation Journal, Fall 2005, pp. 65-72.
- Bess, H. David, Henry S. Marcus and Michael E. Valdez, "Common Fare:
An Example of ‘Blanket’ Rates in Hawai’i Waterborne Trade," Journal of Transportation Management Forum, Fall 2005.
- Marcus, H.S., Nikolaos E. Zografakis and Matthew P. Tedesco, "Building on the Success in Standardization of the U.S. Navy," J. Ship Production, 10, (1994) 110-124.
- Marcus, H.S., Intermodal Movement of Marine Containers, MIT Sea Grant, Cambridge, MA (1993).
- Marcus, H.S., M.A. Glucksman, B.D. Ziogas and K.L. Meyer, "Operationalizing a Buy-Low Sell-High Investment Strategy: The Case of Bulk Shipping," Interfaces, 21:2 (1991) 8-21.
- Marcus, H.S., Maritime Transportation Management Croom Helm Ltd., Kent, UK (1986).
- Marcus, H.S., P. Roberts, J. Short and J. Kuypers, Federal Port Policy in the United States, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (1976).
- Marcus, H.S., L. Bragaw, G. Raffaele and J. Townley, The Challenge of Deepwater Terminals, Lexington Books, D.C. Heath, Lexington, MA (1975).
- Marcus, H.S., Planning Ship Replacement in the Containerization Era, Lexington Books, D.C. Heath, Lexington, MA (1975).