Pedro Miguel ReisAssistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
and Civil & Environmental Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
B.Sc. in Physics, University of Manchester, UK, 1999
Certificate of Advanced Studies in Mathematics (Part III), University of Cambridge, UK, 2000
Ph.D. in Physics, University of Manchester, UK, 2004
Pedro Reis' research interests lie in the general area of deformation of thin elastic objects; including rods, plates and shells. The large displacements permissible in such configurations can give rise to non-negligible geometric nonlinearities, even if its material properties remain linear. Of interest is also the coupling of the elasticity of thin objects with other phenomena such as fracture, adhesion, ﬂuid forces at liquid interfaces and ﬂow. Practical examples of these mechanisms are often found in both the natural world and in technological applications.
2.002 - Mechanics and Materials II
1.101 - Introduction to Civil Engineering Design
18.384 - Undergraduate Seminar in Physical Applied Mathematics
18.354 - Nonlinear Dynamics II: Continuum Systems
- P.M. Reis, S. Jung, J. Aristoff and R. Stocker "How Cats Lap: Water uptake by Felis catus" Science 330 , 1231 (2010).
- P.M. Reis, J. Hure, S. Jung, J.W.M. Bush and C. Clanet, "Grabbing Water" Soft Matter 6, 5705 (2010).
- Buchak, C. Eloy and P.M. Reis, "The Clapping Book: wind-driven oscillations in a stack of elastic sheets" Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 194301 (2010).
- P.S. Raux, P.M. Reis, J.W.M. Bush, and C. Clanet, "Rolling ribbons" Phys. Rev. Lett. 105 044301 (2010).
- D. Sen, K. Novoselov, P. M. Reis and M.J. Buehler, "Tearing of graphene sheets from adhesive substrates produces tapered nanoribbons", Small 61108 (2010).
- D. Vella, J. Bico, A. Boudadoud, B. Roman and P.M. Reis, "Delamination of thin elastic sheets adhered to an elastic substrate", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106, 10901 (2009).
- P.M. Reis, F. Corson, A. Boudaoud and B. Roman, "Localization through surface folding in solid foams under compression", Phys. Rev. Lett., 103, 045501 (2009).
- E. Hamm, P.M. Reis, M. LeBlanc, B. Roman, E. Certa, "Tearing as a test for mechanical characterization of thin adhesive films", Nature Materials,96, 386 (2008). Cover Story.