General Admissions Information
A completed application consists of:
- The completed application form
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Uploaded official/unofficial copies of transcripts. We will require official transcripts upon admission.
- Self-report GRE results – general test only. Please ask ETS to send the official GRE scores to us. Inst. code 3514, Dept. code 1502.
- IELTS (preferred) or TOEFL for international students whose native language is not English. Minimum acceptable score for IELTS = 7.0; TOEFL = 100 IBT, 577 PBT. Please ask British Council to send us the official IELTS score or ETS to send us the official TOEFL score (Inst. code 3514 and Dept. code 68).
The application website (see link below) will become available on September 15, 2015 for students who wish to apply for graduate admission in September 2016. The deadline at that time for submitting completed applications will be December 15, 2015.
Applicants to the MIT MechE graduate program should apply using the MechE online admissions site: https://gradapply.mit.edu/meche
- MechE faculty members, Area(s) and Research Interests
- MechE research fields
- Admission Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Degree Programs
The department offers the following degrees:
- Master of Science (SM)
- Master of Engineering in the discipline of Manufacturing Only (MEng)
- Naval Engineer’s Degree
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Science (ScD)
Early Admission (for MIT ME Seniors only)
The intent of the Early Admission program is to allow seniors with a high GPA, and who are ahead of the eight term graduation schedule, to spend time in the Spring Term of the senior year to make a start on their graduate work. This year we encourage applications from seniors with a GPA of 4.8 and above. An important part of the application will be a statement of how you intend to use the Spring Term in preparation for Graduate School. All applications should include a separate statement that outlines how you will spend the Spring Term, including:
- The remaining undergraduate commitments that you will need to satisfy during the Spring Term.
- How you will use the Spring Term to make a start on your Graduate work, either in terms of taking graduate classes and/or by working with a faculty member on a potential thesis project. It would be very helpful if you are able to identify a faculty member who has agreed to work with you.
You can submit this statement online following your statement of objectives.
The deadline for submitting your application for Early Admission is November 1, with decisions made by December 1. It is expected that students who accept an offer of early admission will not be entertaining offers of admission to other programs or taking a leave/deferral for work. Deferrals will not be granted for early admission.
The department will not enter into any discussion on reasons for rejecting any application. Rejection of your application for Early Admission does not necessarily mean that you have failed to meet our criteria for admission to the graduate program through the regular application process. All applications for Early Admission that are not accepted will be automatically entered into the regular admission process, unless explicitly withdrawn by you.
If you have further questions, please contact the Graduate Office in Room 1-112, or email@example.com.