School of Engineering third quarter 2021 awards
Members of the MIT engineering faculty receive many awards in recognition of their scholarship, service, and overall excellence. The School of Engineering periodically recognizes their achievements by highlighting the honors, prizes, and medals won by faculty working in our academic departments, labs, and centers.
- Hari Balakrishnan of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science won the 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award from SIGCOMM on Aug. 26.
- Dimitri Bertsekas of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science won the 2022 IEEE Control Systems Award on July 1.
- Markus Buehler of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering won the Daniel C. Drucker Medal on June 21.
- Oral Buyukozturk of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering won the Hojjat Adeli Award for Innovation in Computing on June 11.
- Sili Deng of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was selected to participate in NAE's 2021 US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium on June 24.
- John Essigmann of the Department of Biological Engineering won the Founders’ Award of the Division of Chemical Toxicology of the American Chemical Society on Aug. 23.
- Katie Galloway of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the NIH Maximizing Investigators’ Research Award on Aug. 2.
- Karen Gleason of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the AIChE Margaret Hutchinson Rousseau Pioneer Award for Lifetime Achievement by a Woman Chemical Engineer on June 30.
- Rafael Gomez-Bombarelli of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering won the Machine Learning in the Chemical Sciences and Engineering Awards from the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation on Aug. 18.
- Paula Hammond of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the Black in Cancer Distinguished Investigator Award on Aug. 4.
- Ian Hunter of the Department of Mechanical Engineering won the 2022 IEEE Joseph F. Keithley Award in Instrumentation and Measurement on June 29.
- Mingda Li of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering won the 2021 Award for the Early Career Research Program on June 24.
- Brad Olsen of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the 2021 ACS Macro Letters/Biomacromolecules/Macromolecules Young Investigator Award on June 28.
- Kristala Prather of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the AIChE Andreas Acrivos Award for Professional Progress in Chemical Engineering on June 30.
- Jonathan Ragan-Kelley of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science won the ACM SIGGRAPH Significant Young Researcher Award on June 9.
- Warren Seering of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was named a Design Society Fellow on Aug. 18 and won the ASME Design Theory and Methodology Award on Aug. 20.
- Yang Shao-Horn of the Department of Mechanical Engineering won the Humboldt Research Award on Aug. 17.
- Michael Yaffe of the Department of Biological Engineering was elected to be a member of the Association of American Physicians on June 30.