Roger D. KammCecil and Ida Green Distinguished Professor of Biological and Mechanical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Room NE 47-322
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, May, 1977
S.M. in Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, August 1973
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, June 1972
2005-2010: Germeshausen Professor of Mechanical and Biological Engineering
2005-present: Associate chair of Mechanical Engineering
1998-present: Professor of Bioengineering, M.I.T.
1988-present: Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
1988-present: Professor of Health Sciences and Technology, M.I.T. and Harvard University
1981-1988: Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
1978-1981: Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
1977-1978: Lecturer and Research Associate in the Department of Mech. Engineering, M.I.T.
1977: Instructor, M.I.T.
Other Related Experience:
2005-present: Associate Head of Mechanical Engineering, M.I.T.
1994-present: Associate Director, Center for Biomedical Engineering, M.I.T.
1992-1994: Co-Director: Program in Biomedical Engineering, M.I.T.
1986-1987: Senior Visiting Scientist, University of Cambridge, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
Visiting Fellow, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge.
Consulting & Patents (past 5 years):
Hale & Door (expert witness)
APEX Medical (Scientific Advisory Board)
Percardia, Inc. (Scientific Advisory Board)
Cardiovascular Technologies (Co-founder)
Embolic Protection, Inc. (Consultant)
Patent: R. D. Kamm and E. B. Shim, Conduit designs and related methods for optimal flow control, Patent No. US 6,605,053 B1.
Principal Publications (Selected from last two years):
- Dai G, Kaazempur-Mofrad MR, Natarajan S, Zhang Y, Vaughn S, Blackman BR, Kamm RD, García-Cardeña G, and Gimbrone MA. Distinct endothelial phenotypes evoked by arterial waveforms derived from atherosclerosis-susceptible and -resistant regions of human vasculature. PNAS 101: 14871-14876; 2005.
- Chau AH, Chan RC, Shishkov M, MacNeill B, Iftimia N, Tearney GJ, Kamm RD, Bouma BE, Kaazempur-Mofrad MR. Mechanical analysis of atherosclerotic plaques based on optical coherence tomography. Ann Biomed Eng. 2004 Nov;32(11):1494-503.
- Yap B, Kamm RD. Mechanical deformation of neutrophils into narrow channels induces pseudopod projection and changes in biomechanical properties. J Appl Physiol. 2005 May;98(5):1930-9.
- Davis ME, Motion JP, Narmoneva DA, Takahashi T, Hakuno D, Kamm RD, Zhang S, Lee RT. Injectable self-assembling peptide nanofibers create intramyocardial microenvironments for endothelial cells. Circulation. 2005 Feb 1;111(4):442-50.
- Narmoneva DA, Oni O, Sieminski AL, Zhang S, Gertler JP, Kamm RD, Lee RT. Self-assembling short oligopeptides and the promotion of angiogenesis. Biomaterials. 2005 Aug;26(23):4837-46.
- Zaman, MH, Kamm, RD, Matsudaira, P, Lauffenburger, DA. Computational model for cell migration in three dimensions. Biophys J 89: 1389-1397, 2005
- Yap B, Kamm RD. Cytoskeletal remodeling and cellular activation during deformation of neutrophils into narrow channels. J Appl Physiol. 2005 Dec;99(6):2323-30. Epub 2005 Aug 25.
- Semino CE, Kamm RD, Lauffenburger DA. Autocrine EGF receptor activation mediates endothelial cell migration and vascular morphogenesis induced by VEGF under interstitial flow. Exp Cell Res. 2005 Dec 6; [Epub ahead of print]
- Fredberg JJ, Kamm RD. Stress Transmission in the Lung: Pathways from Organ to Molecule. Annu Rev Physiol. 2005 Oct 31; [Epub ahead of print]
- Park J, Kahng B, Kamm RD, Hwang W. Atomistic simulation approach to a continuum description of self-assembled [beta]-sheet filaments, Biophys J. 2006 Jan 13; [Epub ahead of print]
- Karcher H, Lee SE, Mofrad MRK, Kamm RD. A coarse-grained model for force-induced protein deformation and kinetics. Biophys J. 2006 Jan 27; [Epub ahead of print]
- Tarbell JM, Weinbaum S, Kamm RD. Cellular fluid mechanics and mechanotransduction. Ann Biomed Eng. Dec;33(12):1719-23, 2005
- Semino CE, Kamm RD, Lauffenburger DA. Autocrine EGF receptor activation mediates endothelial cell migration and vascular morphogenesis induced by VEGF under interstitial flow. Exp Cell Res. 2006 Feb 1;312(3):289-98. Epub 2005 Dec 7.
- Davis ME, Hsieh PC, Takahashi T, Song Q, Zhang S, Kamm RD, Grodzinsky AJ, Anversa P, Lee RT. Local myocardial insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) delivery with biotinylated peptide nanofibers improves cell therapy for myocardial infarction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 May 23;103(21):8155-60. Epub 2006 May 12.
Scientific & Professional Societies:
American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (Fellow)
American Society of Mechanical Engineering (Fellow)
Biomedical Engineering Society (Fellow)
Honors & Awards: (last five years).
Everett Moore Baker Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2001)
Southwest Mechanics Lecturer (2002)
Eschbach Distinguished Visiting Scholar Award, Northwestern University (2002)
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering (2003)
Distinguished Lecturer in Biomechanics, Stanford University, (2004)
Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (2004)
Fellow, International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering (2005)
Institutional and Professional Service (last five years):
Biomedical Engineering Society; Board of Directors (2003-2006), Chair, Publications Board (2003-2006)
NHLBI, NIEHS, NASA, NSF; Review Committees (1988-present)
Journal of Fluids and Structures, Associate Editor (1993-2004)
Methods in Cell Science, Editorial Board (1995-2004)
US National Committee on Biomechanics; secretary (2000-2003), vice chair (2003-2006), chair (2006-present)
World Council on Biomechanics (1998-present); vice chair (2002-2006), chair (2006-present)
External Advisory Board, Northwestern University, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering (2000-present)
ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Conference Chair, 2001
Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Editorial Board, (2001-present)
External Review Board, Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering (2003)
External Review Board, Duke University, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering (2003)
1st Annual Symposium on Frontiers in Biomechanics, Co-organizer, (2003)
Mechanics & Chemistry of Biosystems, Editorial Board (2003-present)
Summit of Experts in Biomechanics, Co-organizer, (2007)