Carol LivermoreVisiting Scientist
Power MEMS, including microgenerators and MEMS components for high power lasers; elastic energy storage in carbon nanotubes; assembly technologies for MEMS devices; technology and applications for micro- and nano-scale self-assembly
2.372J (Design and Fabrication of Microelectromechanical Systems)
2.674 (Micro/Nano Engineering Laboratory)
2.001 (Mechanics and Materials)
B.S. University of Massachusetts, Physics 1993
A.M. Harvard University 1995
Ph.D.Harvard University 1998
Scientific and Professional Societies
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE)
American Physical Society (APS)
Honors and Awards
Best Student Paper - Oral, PowerMEMS 2009 (2009)
Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching (2007)
NSF Career Award (2007)
SMA Career Development Chair (2004)
Principal Publications (last 5 years)
1. F. Eid, L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, and C. Livermore, “Design, Fabrication, and Demonstration of a MEMS Steam Generator for Ejector Pump Applications,” Power MEMS 2009, Washington, DC, December 2009.
2. F.A. Hill, T. Havel, A. John Hart, and C. Livermore, “Characterizing the failure processes that limit the storage of energy in carbon nanotube springs under tension,” Power MEMS 2009, Washington, DC, December 2009.
3. F.A. Hill, T. Havel, A. John Hart, and C. Livermore, “Storing Elastic Energy in Carbon Nanotubes,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 19, 094015, September 2009 .
4. F. A. Hill, T. Havel, and C. Livermore, “Modeling mechanical energy storage in springs based on carbon nanotubes,” Nanotechnology 20, 255704, June 2009.
5. J.L. Steyn, S.H. Kendig, R. Khanna, S.D. Umans, J.H. Lang, and C. Livermore, "A Self-Excited MEMS ElectroQuasiStatic Induction Turbine Generator," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 18, 424-432, April 2009.
6. F. Eid, S. Jung, and C. Livermore, "Templated Assembly by Selective Removal (TASR): Simultaneous, Selective Assembly and Model Verification," Nanotechnology 19, 285602 (8 pp.), July 2008.
7. B.A. Wilhite, T.F. Hill, L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, A.H. Epstein, K.F. Jensen, and C. Livermore, "Design of a Silicon-Based Microscale Trickle-Bed System for Singlet-Oxygen Production," American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal 54, 2441-2455, September 2008.
8. N. Shaar, G. Barbastathis, and C. Livermore, "Cascaded Mechanical Alignment for Assembling 3D MEMS," Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Microelectromechanical Systems, Tucson, AZ, January 2008.
9. F.A. Hill, T.F. Havel, and C. Livermore, "A Portable Power Source Based on MEMS and Carbon Nanotubes," Proceedings of IMECE 2007, Seattle, WA, November 2007.
10. L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, T.F. Hill, B.A. Wilhite, K.F. Jensen, A.H. Epstein, and C. Livermore, "A MEMS Singlet Oxygen Generator - Part I: Device Fabrication and Proof of Concept Demonstration," IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 16, 1482-1491, December 2007.
11. T.F. Hill, L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, B.A. Wilhite, W.T. Rawlins, S. Lee, S.J. Davis, K.F. Jensen, A.H. Epstein, and C. Livermore, "A MEMS Singlet Oxygen Generator - Part II: Experimental Exploration of the Performance Space," IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 16, 1492-1505, December 2007.
12. S. Jung and C. Livermore, "Achieving Selective Assembly with Template Topography and Ultrasonically Induced Fluid Forces", Nano Letters 5, 2188-94 (2005).
13. J.L. Steyn, S.H. Kendig, R. Khanna, T.M. Lyszczarz, S.D. Umans, J.U. Yoon, C. Livermore, and J.H. Lang, "Generating Electric Power with a MEMS Electroquasistatic Induction Turbine-Generator," Proceedings of the18th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 614-617 (2005).
14. S.F. Nagle, C. Livermore, L.G. Frechette, R. Ghodssi, and J.H. Lang, "An Electric Induction Micromotor", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 14, pp. 1127-1143, (2005).