School of Engineering second quarter 2021 awards
Members of the MIT engineering faculty receive many awards in recognition of their scholarship, service, and overall excellence. The School of Engineering periodically recognizes their achievements by highlighting the honors, prizes, and medals won by faculty working in our academic departments, labs, and centers.
- Donald R. Sadoway of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering was named a TMS Fellow on March 1.
- Tamara Broderick of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science was awarded membership to the COPSS Leadership Academy March 8.
- Arup Chakraborty of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the John M. Prausnitz AIChE Institute Lecturer Award on March 16.
- Kristala Prather of the Department of Chemical Engineering was named a 2021 AIChE Fellow on March 19.
- Josephine Carstensen of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering won a 2021 NSF CAREER Award on March 22.
- Arvind Satyanarayan of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science received the ACM CHI 2021 Best Paper Honorable Mention on March 24 and won a Google Research Scholar Award on April 7.
- John Lienhard of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was named an American Society of Thermal and Fluids Engineers Fellow on March 25.
- Mathias Kolle of the Department of Mechanical Engineering received a Human Frontier Science Program Grant on April 1.
- Giovanni Traverso of the Department of Mechanical Engineering won the STAT Madness competition on April 5.
- Alan Grodzinsky of the Department of Biological Engineering won the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) on April 29.
- Alex K. Shalek of the Institute for Medical Engineering and Science won the Avant-Garde (DP1 Pioneer) Award from the National Institute for Drug Abuse (NIDA) on April 30.
- Zachary Smith of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award on May 7.
- Themistoklis Sapsis of the Department of Mechanical Engineering won the Bodossaki Award on Basic Sciences: Mathematics on May 10.
- Karthish Manthiram of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the 2021 Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award on May 14.
- Anders Sejr Hansen of the Department of Biological Engineering won the R33 Award from the National Cancer Institute's Innovative Molecular Analysis Technologies program of the National Institutes of Health and received a received a research grant from the National Science Foundation on May 17.
- Heather Kulik of the Department of Chemical Engineering won the Molecular Systems Design and Engineering 2020 Outstanding Early-Career Paper Award on May 20.
- Mingda Li of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering won a U.S. Department of Energy 2021 Award for the Early Career Research on May 27.
- Harvey F. Lodish of the Department of Biological Engineering received an received an honorary doctor of science degree from Case Western University on May 31.