MIT’s Department of Mechanical Engineering has pledged to develop and implement actions that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our students, faculty, and staff. As a community, we are committed to celebrating diversity and rejecting racism or prejudice in any form.
This page offers an overview of the various activities we are taking as a department to build a community that is actively anti-racist, works towards correcting systemic and institutional racism, and treats every individual with respect, dignity, kindness, and fairness. It will be updated as additional actions are implemented.
DEI Strategic Action Plan: An outline of current departmental projects related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Professor Cullen Buie is MechE’s Faculty Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Chair and oversees departmental initiatives designed to support a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive working and learning environment.
- MIT Institute Community and Equity Office
- MIT Office of Minority Education
- MIT Institute Discrimination and Harassment Response Office (IDHR)
- Accessibility & Usability
- Disability and Access Services
- MIT Office of Religious, Spiritual, and Ethical Life Office (ORSEL)
- International Students Office
- Office of Multicultural Programs
- MIT SPXCE Intercultural Center (SPXCE)
- LBGTQ + Services
- First Generation Program, Office of the First Year
- Office of Graduate Education’s GradDiversity
- Ombuds Office
- Student Support Services
- MIT MyLife Services (for faculty, staff, postdocs, and families)