Wai K. ChengProfessor of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Sloan Automotive Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Janet Sabio Maslow
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1978
S.M, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts,Aeronautics and Astronautics - 1975
S.B., California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, Engineering and Applied Science, 1974
Other Work Experience:
1978 - 1980 Senior Research Scientist, Aerodyne Research Inc., Bedford, Massachusetts
1974 - 1978 Graduate Research Assistant, Gas Turbine Lab., MIT;
1973 - 1974 Engineer, Advanced Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Lab., Pasadena, California
Consulting and Patents
Aerodyne Research, Inc.
Aurora Flight Sciences
Exxon Mobil Research and Engineering
Swedish Energy Agency
Principal Publications (last 10):
1. B. Yang, S. Li, Z. Zheng, M.Yao, W. Cheng, “A Comparative Study on Different Dual-Fuel Combustion Modes Fuelled with Gasoline and Diesel,” SAE Paper 2012-01-0694, 2012
2. P. Smith, W.K. Cheng, “Assessing the Loss Mechanisms Associated with Engine Downsizing, Boosting and Compression Ratio Change,” SAE Paper 2013-01-0929, 2013.
3. A. Maria, W. K. Cheng, K. Kar, and W. Cannella, “Understanding Knock Metric for Controlled Auto-Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1658.
4. B. Yang, M. Yao, W.K. Cheng, Y. Li, Z. Zheng, and S. Li, “Experimental and numerical study on different dual-fuel combustion modes fuelled with gasoline and diesel,”Applied Energy 113 (2014), pp 722–733, doi: 10.1016/ 2013.07.034
5. K. Cedrone, W.K. Cheng, “Using Valve Timing and Exhaust Back Pressure to Improve Catalyst Warm-up time,” SAE Paper 2013-01-2656, 2013.
6. Lee, J. and Cheng, W., “Engine Friction Accounting Guide and Development Tool for Passenger Car Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(4):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2651.
7. Maria, A., Cheng, W., Cannella, W., and Kar, K., "Fuel Factors Affecting the High-Load Limit of a Temperature Stratified Controlled Auto-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1287, 2014.
8. Sang, W., Cheng, W., and Maria, A., "The Nature of Heat Release in Gasoline PPCI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1295, 2014.
9. Ketterer, J. and Cheng, W., "On the Nature of Particulate Emissions from DISI Engines at Cold-Fast-Idle," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):2014.
10. Cedrone, K. and Cheng, W., "SI Engine Control in the Cold-Fast-Idle Period for Low HC Emissions and Fast Catalyst Light Off," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):2014.
Scientific and Professional Societies
Society of Automotive Engineers
Honors and Awards:
Carl Richard Solderberg Assistant Professor in Power Engineering, 1982-1984
Society of Automotive Engineering Teetor Award, 1984
Recipient, 2002 Society of Automotive Engineers Oral Presentation Award, 2002
Fellow, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2003
Recipient, 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers Oral Presentation Award, 2004
Professional Services (last five years):
2003 – present Editorial board, International Journal of Engine Research.