Ahmed F. GhoniemRonald C. Crane (1972) Professor
Director, Center for Energy and Propulsion Research
Director, Reacting Gas Dynamics Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
- Energy Conversion science and engineering, including combustion, thermochemical and electrothermochemical processes, their integration, and interface with renewable energy systems such as solar thermal and biofuels.
- Combustion fundamentals and modeling, combustion dynamics and thermoacoustic instability, noise, signature, emissions and performance. Active control of combustion.
- High-performance computing, science discovery through advanced computing, information technology, computational mathematics, and application to turbulence and combustion. CFD: development and application of advanced computational methods in fluid dynamics, transport, mixing and combustion.
- Carbon-capture research, including gasification and reforming, oxy-combustion, ITM reactor development, Chemical looping combustion. CO2 reduction and reuse.
- Renewable energy sources and conversion including biomass to liquid via thermochemical pathways, hybrid CSP and solar reforming.
Thermal-Fluid Science and Engineering, Fundamentals of Advanced Energy Conversion and Combustion, Advanced Fluid Mechanics, Turbulence
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, July 1973, Cairo University, Egypt
M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, October 1975, Cairo University, Egypt
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, June 1980, University of California, Berkeley
Academic Appointments at MIT
July 83 - Sept. 85, Assistant Professor
Sep. 85 - July 86, Edgerton Assistant Professor
July 86 - June 87, Edgerton Associate Professor
July 86 - June 88, Associate Professor, non-tenured
July 88 - June 92, Associate Professor, tenured
June 92 - present, Professor
Other Related Experience
Oct . 73 - Sep. 75 Cairo University, Egypt, Res. & Teaching Assistant
Sept. 75 - Sep. 76 Calgary University, Canada, Res. & Teaching Assistant
Jan. 77 - Mar. 80 University of California, Berkeley, Res. & Teaching Assistant
Mar. 80 - Nov. 80 University of California, Berkeley, Postdoctoral Research
Nov. 80 - July 83 Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Research Scientist
Professional Service and Consulting
1985 - 1986 Cairo University, Egypt
1987 - 1988 Flow Industries, Inc., Kent, WA
1987 - 1989 R & D Associates, Marina del Rey, CA
1987 - 1988 Bolt, Beranek and Newmann, Cambridge, MA
1987 - 1991 Altex Technologies, San Jose, CA
1988 - 1992 U.S. Army Atmospheric Sciences Laboratory
1989 - 1992 Allison Gas Turbine, G.M.
1989 - 1989 Shell Oil Co.
1989 - 1989 National Institute of Standards and Technology
1990 - 1990 Current General Electric Co.
1990 - 1991 Northwest Fuel Development, Inc.
1990 - 1991 Northwest Fuel Development, Inc., Portland, OR
1991 - 1995 Altex Corporation, San Jose, CA
1991 - 1991 Chm Michelson Institute, Norway
1993 - 1993 Advanced Mechanical Technologies, Inc. (AMTI)
1993 - 1994 AMTI, Newton, MA
1994 - 1995 Hinton and Alfert Law Offices, Walnut Creel, CA
1995 - 1997 United Technologies, East Hartford, CT
1995 - 1995 Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, N.M.
1997 - 1997 Enppi, Egypt
1997 - 1997 Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA
1998 United Technologies, East Hartford, CT
1998 United States Golf Association
1998 Radian Technologies1998 - 2001 United Technology Research Center, East Hartford, CT
2000 - 2000 Draper Laboratories, Cambridge, MA
2000 - 2000 Delta Search Laboratories, Cambridge, MA, Member of the Board
2000 - 2001 EXO New Energy, The Netherlands
2001 - 2002 Fish and Anderson, Boston, MA
2002 - 2005 United Technology
2004 - 2005 Mechanology, Inc.
2005 - 2006 Morrison & Mahoney, LLC
2007 - 2008 AFL/Creare
2007 - 2009 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Technical Advisory Committee
2008 Tecogen Board of Directors
2009 - 2012 Chair, IAB for KFUPM Center for Research Excellence in Renewable Energy
2009 Ilios, Inc., MA, Board of Directors
2009 - 2010 Vale/VSE, Member of the Advisory Committee
2010 - 2012Vale/VEL, Member of the Technical Advisory Committee
2011 ARAMCO Research and Development Center, CAC
2011 - 2012 Babcock-Thermo Clean Combustion LLC, Member of the Board
2012 Unity Power Alliance, Member of the Board
2013 ETH, Evaluation Board.
Patents and Patents Pending:
- Ahmed F. Ghoniem, Santosh Janardhan Shanbhogue, Zachary Alexander LaBry, and Raymond l. Speth, SWIRL-COUNTER-SWIRL MICROJETS FOR THERMOACOUSTIC INSTABILITY SUPPRESSION, MIT docket number 14110.108769, United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2010 Serial Number 61/292330.
- Ahmed F. Ghoniem, Randall Field and Chukwunwike Ogbonnia. Iloeje, "A NOVEL APPROACH TO CARBON-DIOXIDE PURIFICATION FOR OXY-COMBUSTION SYSTEM", M.I.T. Case No. 14236, U.S. patent application No 61/330860.
- Patrick Kirchen and Ahmed F. Ghoniem, “NEARLY ISOTHERMAL ION TRANSPORT MEMBRANE REACTOR FOR OXYGEN SEPARATION AND HYDROCARBON CONVERSION", M.I.T. Case No. 14581.
- M. A. Habib, K. Mezghani, R. Ben-Mansour, A. F. Ghoniem, Y. Shao-Horn and A. Mitsos, “INTEGRATED POLYMERIC-CERAMIC MEMBRANE BASED OXY-FUEL COMBUSTOR”, Patent application, No 13/365290, filed Feb 2012.
- Ahmed F. Ghoniem, Seung Hyuck Hong and Santosh Janardahn Shanbhogue, “SUPPRESSION OF COMBUSTION INSTABILITY USING AN INSULATEING MATERIAL NEAR THE FLAME ANCHORING REGION” Provisional Patent filed on April 2012, application number 61/623177.
- Ahmed F. Ghoniem, Tianjiao Chen and Zhenlong Zhao, ROTARY BED REACTOR FOR CHEMICAL LOOPING COMBUSTION WITH CARBON CAPTURE, US Patent Application No.: 13/676600, filing Date Nov 14, 2012, MIT Case No. 15476K.
- Ahmed F. Ghoniem, Le Cheng and Patrick Kirchen, USE OF ION TRANSPORT MEMBRANE FOR COMBINED CO2 CAPTURE AND REUSE, MIT Tech disclosure 15596.
- Cristina Botero, Randall Field, Howard Herzog and Ahmed F Ghoniem, METHOD FOR PREPARING A SLURRY OF PULVERIZED SOLID MATERIAL IN LIQUID OR SUPERCRITICAL CARBON DIOXIDE, MIT Case No. 15909K. U.S. patent Application No. 61/712954 filed Oct 12, 2012.
- Wu, Guang, and Ghoniem, Ahmed F., SEPARATION OF HYDROCARBON MIXTURE USING NEAR-CRITICAL OR SUPERCRITICAL WATER, MIT Case No. 16199, 2013.
- Cristina Botero, Randall Field, Howard Herzog and Ahmed F Ghoniem, METHOD FOR CONVEYING A SOLID TO A DENSE, HIGH PRESSURE STATE VIA PHASE INVERSION WITH CO2, case No. 61/829321, 2013. Patent filed on Oct 8, 2013, Serial No 14/048150.
Awards and Honors
1968 - 1973 Ministry (Egyptian) of Higher Education Scholarship (yearly)
1979 Pi Tau Sigma, Excellent Teaching Assistant (U.C. Berkeley)
1984 N.S.F. Research Initiation Award
1985 N.A.S.A. Certificate of Recognition
1985 Edgerton Professorship
1987 S.A.E. Teetor Educational Award
1990 A.I.A.A Certificate of Appreciation
2006 Robert C. Crane (1972) Professor
2008 - 2013 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Professional Registration: The Egyptian Engineering Society
Principal Publications (last 3 years):
- LaBry, Z. A., Shanbhogue, S.J., Speth, R.L. and Ghoniem, A.F., Flow Structures in a lean premixed swirl stabilized combustor with microjet air injection, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 33, 2011, 1113-1120.
- Kedia, K., Altay, H.M. and Ghoniem, A.F., Impact of wall-flame interactions of premixed flame transfer function, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 33, 2011, 1113-1120.
- Ghoniem, A.F., Needs, resources and climate change: Clean and efficient conversion technologies, Progress Energy Combust Science, Vol. 37, 2011, p. 15-51.
- Singer, S. and Ghoniem, A.F., “Adaptive random pore model (ARPM) for multimodal-pore structure evolution during char conversion", Energy and Fuels, 2011, 25 (4), pp. 1423-1437, DOI: 10.1021/ef101532u.
- LaBry, Z.A., Shanbhogue, S.J. and Ghoniem, A.F., “Microjet injection for suppressing instability in a premixed swirl stabilized combustor,” Presented at the 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting January, Orlando, FL 2011.
- Speth, R.I., Shanbhogue, S.J., Hong, S.H., and Ghoniem, A.F., “Mode selection in flame-vortex driven combustion instability”, Presented at the 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting January, Orlando, FL 2011.
- Habib, M.A., Badr, H.M., Ahmed, S.F., Ben-Mansour, R., Mezghani, K., Imashuku, S., La O’, G.J., Shao-Horn, Y., Mancini, N., Mitsos, A., Kirchen, P., and Ghoniem, A.F., A review of recent developments in carbon capture utilizing oxy-fuel combustion in conventional and ion transport membrane systems, Int. Journal for Energy Research, (2011), Vol 35, 9, pp. 741-764.
- Schlegel, F., Wee, Dh, Marzouk, Y.M. and Ghoniem, A.F., Contributions of the wall boundary layer to the formation of counter-rotating vortex pair in transverse jets, J. Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 676, 2011, pp. 461-490.
- Rutberg, M.J., Delgado, A., Herzog, H. and Ghoniem, A.F., A system-level generic model of water use at power plants and its application to regional water use estimation and technology evaluation, IMECE2011-63786, ASME 2011 IMECE, Nov 11-17, 2011, Denver, CO.
- Chen, Lei, Yong, S.Z. and Ghoniem, A.F., Oxy-fuel combustion of coal for carbon capture; characterization, fundamentals, stabilization and CFD modeling, Progress in Energy and Combustion Sciences, 38 (2012) 156-214.
- Kedia, K. and Ghoniem, A.F., Mechanisms of stabilization and blowoff of a premixed flame downstream of a heat-conducting perforated plate, Combustion and Flame, 159 (2012) 1055-1069.
- Monaghan, R.F. and Ghoniem, A.F., A dynamic reduced order model for simulating entrained flow gasifier. Part 1: Model development and description, Fuel, 91, 2012, 61-80.
- Monaghan, R.F. and Ghoniem, A.F., A dynamic reduced order model for simulating entrained flow gasifier. Part 2: Validation, Fuel, 2012, 94, pp. 280-297.
- Yong, S.Z., Gazzino, M. and Ghoniem, A.F., Modeling the slag layer in solid fuel gasification and combustion- formulation and sensitivity analysis, Fuel, 92, 2012, 162-170.
- Kewlani, G., Abani, N., Shanbhogue, S. and Ghoniem, A.F., Large eddy simulation of a swirl stabilized combustor, presented at the AIAA 50th Aerospace Science Meeting, Jan 2012, Nashville, TN.
- Wee, Daehyun, Park, Sungbae, Ghoniem, A.F., Impact of curvature on the kinematic response of small flames, J. Engineering Math, 74, 1, 37-52 (2012). DOI 10.1007/s10665-011-9481-5.
- Kumar, Mayank, and Ghoniem, A.F., Multi-physics simulations of entrained flow gasification. Part I: validating the non-reacting flow solver and the particle turbulent dispersion model, Energy and Fuels, 2012, 26(1) pp. 451-463, DOI: 10.1021/ef200884j.
- Kumar, Mayank, and Ghoniem, A.F., Multi-physics simulations of entrained flow. Part II constructing and validating the overall model, Energy and Fuels, 2012, 26(1) pp. 464-479, DOI: 10.1021/ef2008858.
- Yong, S.Z., and Ghoniem, A.F., Multiphase slag models in solid fuel gasification and combustion- Two way coupling with CFD, Fuel, 97 (2012) 457-466.
- Dabiri, S., Wu, G., Timko, M. and Ghoniem, A.F., Mixing of single component hydrocarbon droplets in supercritical water, J Supercritical Fluids, 67 (2012) 29-40.
- Habib, M.A., Mansour, R.B., Badr, H.M., Ahmed, S.F., Ghoniem, A.F., Characteristics of oxy-fuel and air-fuel combustion in water tube boilers, 2011, Computers and Fluids, 56, 2012, 152-165.
- Monaghan, R. and Ghoniem, A.F., Simulation of a commercial scale entrained flow gasifier using a dynamic reduced order model, Energy and Fuels, 2012, 26(2), pp. 1089-1106, DOI: 10.1021/ef201551m.
- Hassan, B., Shamim, T. and Ghoniem, A.F., “A parametric study of multi-stage chemical looping combustion for CO2 capture power plants, Proceedings of the ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, July 8-12, 2012, Puerto Rico, ASME2012-58579.
- Wu, G., Timko, M. and Ghoniem, A.F., Mixing of multicomponent hydrocarbon droplet in supercritical water, presented at the Int. Symposium on Supercritical Fluids, May 13-16, 2012, San Francisco CA.
- Beretta, G.P., Iora, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., Novel approaches for fair allocation of primary energy consumption among cogenerated energy intensive products based on the actual local area production scenario, Energy, 44 (2012) 1107-1120.
- Hong, JS, Kirchen, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., Numerical simulation of ion-transport membrane reactors: oxygen permeation and transport and fuel conversion, J. Membrane Science, 407-408, 2012, pp. 71-85.
- Hong, S.H., Shanbhogue, S.J., and Ghoniem, A.F., Impact of heat transfer at the flame-holder on combustion instability characteristics, ASME Turbo Expo 2012, GT2012-70057, June 11-15, Copenhagen DN.
- Ghoniem, A.F., Oxy-coal Combustion for carbon Capture, invited presentation in the Oxy-fuel Combustion Technology Panel, the 37th International Technical Conference on Clean Coal & Fuel Systems, June 4-7, 2012, Clearwater, FL.
- Chen, L. and Ghoniem, A.F., Simulation of oxy-coal combustion using RANS and LES, a validation study, Energy and Fuels, 2012, 26(8), pp.4783-4798, DOI: 10.1021/ef3006993.
- Bates, Richard and Ghoniem, A.F., Biomass torrefaction: modeling of volatiles and solid product evolution kinetics, Bioresource Technology, 124 (2012) 460-469.
- Shroll, A.P., Shanbhogue, S.J. and Ghoniem, A.F., Dynamic stability characteristics of premixed methane oxy-combustion, J. of Eng For Gas Turbines and Power, May 2012, Vol 134/051504-1-10. DOI: 10.1115/1.4004737.
- Botero, C., Brasington, R., Field, R., Herzog, H. and Ghoniem, A.F., Performance of an IGCC plant with carbon capture and coal-CO2-slurry feed: impact of coal rank, slurry loading and syngas cooling technology, Indust. & Eng. Chemistry Research, 51(36) (2012) 11778-11790.
- Wu, G., Dabiri, S., Timko, M.T., and Ghoniem, A.F., Fractionation of multicomponent hydrocarbon droplet in water at supercritical and near-critical conditions. J. Supercritical Fluids, 72 (2012) 150-160.
- Beretta, G.P., Iora, P., and Ghoniem, A.F., Allocating electricity production from a hybrid fossil-renewable power plant among its multi primary resources consumption, Energy, 60(1) (2013) pp. 34-360.
- Kedia, K. and Ghoniem, A.F., An analytical model for the prediction of the dynamic response of premixed flames stabilized on a heat-conducting perforated plate, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 34, 2013, 921-9928.
- Singer, S., Chen, L. and Ghoniem, A.F., The influence of char particle trajectory and conversion of char gasification reactions during oxy-combustion and gasification, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 34, 2, 2013, 3471-3478. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.07.042.
- Kirchen, P., Apo, D.J., Hunt, A., and Ghoniem, A.F., A novel ion transport membrane reactor for fundamental investigations of oxygen permeation and oxy-combustion under reactive flow conditions, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 34, 2, 2013, 3463-3470. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.07.076.
- Botero, C., Herzog, H. and Ghoniem, A.F., Coal-CO2 slurry feed for pressurized gasifiers, slurry preparation system characterization and economics, the 11th Green-House Gas Technology Conference, Nov 18-22, 2012, Kyoto, Japan. Energy Procedia, 37, 2013, 2212-2223. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.101.
- Hong, JS, Kirchen, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., Interaction between oxygen permeation and homogeneous-phase fuel conversion on the sweep side of an ion transport membrane, J. Membrane Sci., 428, Feb 2013, 309-322.
- Kewlani, G., Vogiatzaki, K., Shanbhogue, S., and Ghoniem, A.F., LES of wake stabilized reacting flows: a validation study, presented at the 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Jan 2013. DOI: 10.2514/6.2013-169.
- Abani. N., and Ghoniem, A.F., Large-eddy simulation of coal gasification in an entrained flow gasifier, Fuel, Vol. 104, Feb 2013, pp. 664-680.
- Singer, S. and Ghoniem, A.F. Comprehensive single particle conversion model, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 160, no. 1, Jan 2013, pp. 120-137.
- Gazzani, M., Manzolini, G., Macchi, E., and Ghoniem, A.F., Reduced order modeling is the Shell-Prenflo entrained flow gasifier, Fuel, Vol. 104, Feb 2013, pp. 822-837.
- Botero, C., Field, R.P., Herzog, H.J. and Ghoniem, A.F., Impact of finite-rate kinetics on carbon conversion in a high-pressure single-stage entrained flow gasifier with coal-CO2 slurry feed. (Best Paper Award, 37th Int. Tech. Conf. on Clean Coal & Fuel Systems, June 2012). J. Applied Energy, 104 (2013) 408-417.
- Lee, W.Y., Hanna, J. and Ghoniem, A.F., On the predictions of carbon deposition on the nickel anode of an SOFC and its impact on open–circuit conditions, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2013, 160(2): F94-F105. DOI: 10.1149/2.051302jes.
- Zhao, Z.L., Chen, T.J., and Ghoniem, A.F., Rotary-bed reactor for chemical looping combustion with carbon capture; Part 1: reactor design and model development, Energy & Fuels, 2013, 27(1), pp. 327-343, DOI: 10.1021/ef3014103.
- Zhao, Z.L., Chen, T.J., and Ghoniem, A.F., Rotary-bed reactor for chemical looping combustion with carbon capture; Part 1I: base case and sensitivity analysis, Energy & Fuels, 2013, 27(1), pp. 344-359, DOI: 10.1021/ef301411g.
- Taamallah, S., Vogiatzaki, K., Kewlani, G., Shanbhogue, S., and Ghoniem, A.F., “Influence of Boundary Layer Trip on Non–Swirling and Swirling Reacting Jets Using Large Eddy Simulation” Numerical Combustion Conference, San Antonio Texas, USA, April 8-10th.
- Hong, J.S., Kirchen, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., Laminar oxy-fuel diffusion flame supported by an oxygen permeable ion transport membrane. Combust. Flame, 160, 3, 2013, pp. 704-717. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustionflame.2012.11.014.
- Hong, S.H., Speth, R., Shanbhogue, S., and Ghoniem, A.F., Examining flow-flame interactions and the characteristic stretch rate in vortex-driven combustion dynamics using PIV and numerical simulations, Combustion and Flame, 160 (2013) 1381-1397. DOI:10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.02.016.
- Bates, Richard and Ghoniem, A.F., Biomass torrefaction: modeling of Reaction thermochemistry, Bioresource Technology, 134 (2013) 331-340, DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2013.01.158.
- Kumar, Mayank and Ghoniem, Ahmed F., Application of a validated CFD gasification model to determine the impact of coal particle size on carbon conversion, Fuel, 108, 2013, 565-577.
- Hanna, J., Lee, W.Y., and Ghoniem, A.F., Electrochemical kinetics models for CO oxidation in Ni-YZS anodes, J. Electrochem. Soc., 160(6) F698-F708 (2013). DOI: 10.1149/2.136606jes.
- Chen, L., Yong, S.Z. and Ghoniem, A.F., Modeling the slag behavior in 3D CFD simulations of slagging coal oxy-combustion. Fuel Processing Tech, 112, 2013, 106-117.
- Hong, JS, Kirchen, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., Analysis of heterogeneous oxygen exchange and fuel oxidation on the catalytic surface of pervoskite membranes, J. Membrane Sci., 445, 96-106, 2013. DOI:10.1016/j.memsci.2013.05.055.
- Yu, X., Shi, Y., Wang, H., Cai, N., Li, C., Hanna, J., Tomov, R.I., Glowacki, B.A. and Ghoniem, A.F., Experimental characterization and elementary reaction modeling of solid oxide electrolyte direct carbon fuel cell, J. Power Sources, 243 (2013) 159-171.
- Habib, M.A., Ahmed, P., Ben-Mansour, R., Badr, H.M., Kirchen, P., and Ghoniem, A.F., Modeling of a combined ion transport and porous membrane reactor for oxy-combustion, J. Membrane Sci., 446 (2013) 230-243.
- Chen, Lei, and Ghoniem, A.F., Development of a 3D computational slag flow model for coal combustion and gasification, Fuel, 113 (2013) 357-366, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2013.05.103
- Botero, C., Field, R., Herzog, H. and Ghoniem, A.F., The Phase Inversion based coal-CO2 slurry (PHICCOS) feeding system: techno-economic assessment using coupled multiscale analysis method, International Journal for Green Gas Control, 18, 150-164, 2013.
- Hong, S.H., Shanbhogue, S., Kedia, K. and Ghoniem, A.F., Impact of the flame-holder heat transfer characteristics on the onset of combustion instability, Combust. Sci. Tech., 185 (2013) 1541-1567. DOI: 10.1080/00102202.2013.816575.
- Nemitallah, M.A., Habib, M.A., Ben-Mansour, R., and Ghoniem, A.F., Design of an ion-transport membrane reactor for gas turbine combustion applications, J. Membrane Sci., 446, pp. 230-243, 2013.
- Hong, S.H., Speth, R., Shanbhogue, S., and Ghoniem, A.F., On the phase between pressure and heat release fluctuations in C3H8/H2 flames in a backward-facing step combustor and its role in dynamic mode transition, Combustion and Flame, 160 (2013) 2827-2742. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.07.001
- Altantzis, C., Bates, R.B., and Ghoniem, A.F., Comparison of simplified 1D models with 2D and 3D CFD simulations of a laboratory-scale bubbling fluidized bed hydrodynamics, for presentation at the Int. Conf. Multiphase Flow 2013, Jujo, South Korea, May 26-31, 2013.
- Altantzis, C., and Ghoniem, A.F., Numerical simulation of mixing of a binary mixture consisting of spherical wooden particles and sand in a bubbling fluidized bed, for presentation at the Int. Conf. Multiphase Flow 2013, Jujo, South Korea, May 26-31, 2013.
- Stark, A.K., Altantzis, C., and Ghoniem, A.F., CFD modeling of wood sawdust gasification in a laboratory-scale fluidized bed gasifier, for presentation at the SIAM Numerical Combustion Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 2013.
- Hanna, J., She, Y., Lee, W.Y., and Ghoniem, A.F., Fundamentals of electro and thermochemistry in the anode of solid-oxide fuel cells with hydrocarbon and syngas fuels, Progress Energy Combust. Sci., in press, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2013.
- Schlegel, F. and Ghoniem, A.F., Simulation of high Reynolds number reactive transverse jet and the formation of a triple flame, Combustion and Flame, in press, 2013. 10.1016/j.combustﬂame.2013.10.006
- Botero, C., Field, R.P., Herzog, H.J. and Ghoniem, A.F., On the role of thermodynamics and kinetics in a coal-CO2 slurry-fed gasifier: optimization of CO2:H2O ratio though CO2 skimming and steam injection. The 38th Int. Tech. Conf. on Clean Coal & Fuel Systems, June 2013, Best Paper Award. In review, Applied Energy.
- Iora, P., Ghoniem, A.F. and Beretta, G.P., What fraction of the electrical energy produced in a hybrid solar-fossil power plant should qualify as “renewable energy,” for presentation at the IMECE, San Diego, Nov 2013.
- Beretta, G.P., Iora, P. and Ghoniem, A.F., What fraction of the fuel consumed by a heat-and-power cogeneration facility should be allocated to the heat produced, for presentation at the IMECE, San Diego, Nov 2013.
Department & Institute Committees
Sep. 83 - Current Department Undergraduate Faculty Advisor
Sep. 84 - Sep. 87 Department Graduate Committee Department Graduate Advisor
Sep. 85 - Sep. 90 Mathematics Minor Advisor
Sep. 85 - June 86 Department Seminar Chairman
Sep. 87 - Sept. 88 Department Admission Committee
Sep. 90 - Current Computers in Education
Nov. 91 - Jan. 92 Ad hoc Committee on Promotion
1991 - 1992 Committee to establish PEEER
Jan. 92 - pres. Department Admissions Committee
Jan. 90 - May 94 SAL Seminar Series
Jan. 94 - June 94 Search Committee Chair
Jan. 94 - 1995 Ad hoc Committee on the Core Development
Jan. 94 - pres. Space Committee
Sep. 95 - June 98 Committee on Undergraduate Programs
June 96 - pres. Head of Thermo Fluids Sciences Division
Sep 99 - Sep 00 Committee on Curricula, member
Sep 00 - Committee on Curricula, Chair
2000 - 2003 Member of NERSC, the National Energy Research Supercomputing Center Advisory Group.
2000 - pres. Member of Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center Advisory Board.
2002 - 2005 Member of the MIT Faculty Policy Committee.
2005 Chaired the School of Engineering ME-OE Merger Planning Committee.
2005 - 2006 Chaired the Energy Search Committee.
2005 - 2007 Chaired the MIT Committee to review Engineering Systems Division.
2005 - 2010 Head, Energy Science and Engineering Division, ME.
2005 - 2010 Co-director, then Director of the Center for 21st Century Energy, ME.
2007 Chairman of the organizing committee of the Keenan Symposium “Meeting the Entropy Challenge”.
2007 Member of the Technical Advisory Committee, KAUST: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
2008 - pres. Member of the Energy Education Task Force, part of the MIT Energy Initiative.
2008 Chaired the MIT MASDAR Institute effort on establishing an Energy Program.
2008 - pres. Member of the MIT Middle East Studies Working Group.
2008 - pres. Member of the MIT-KFUPM Center for Clean Energy and Clean Water.
2009 Member of the MIT Task Force on Promotion and Tenure.
2009 - 2010 Member of the ME Graduate Program Review Committee.
2008 - 2013 Scientific Director, Cariplo Faculty Exchange Program.
2008 - 2013 Member of the IAB for Oxford Center for Collaborative Applied Mathematics.
2010 - pres. Currently mentoring six junior faculty in the Department.
2010 Member of the NSE Department Strategic Review Committee.
2010 Member of the ME/OE Merger Review Committee.
2009 - pres. Chair of the Center of Research Excellence in Renewable Energy at KFUPM.
2010 Founding Executive Director, Center for Energy and Propulsion Research.
2011 - pres. Chair of the Center Advisory Committee of the ARAMCO Research and Development Center.
2011 Member, Strategic Planning Committee, ME.
2011 - Pres. Member, ME Faculty Awards Committee.
2012 Member, Ocean Engineering Faculty Search Committee.
2012 Member of the Mechanical Eng. Council.
2013 Visiting Professor, KAUST.
2013 Member of Executive Committee, KFUPM Center.
Sep. 90 - Feb. 91 National Research Council Committee on Research Directions in Computational Mechanics
1993 - 1994 DOE Review Panel on Energy Related Research
1993 - 1996 NSF Review Board on Supercomputer Allocation
1997 NCSA Users Advisory Board
Scientific and Professional Societies
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Fellow)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Associate Fellow)
The Combustion Institute
American Mathematical Society (Member)
Society of Automotive Engineering (Member)