David C. GossardProfessor of Mechanical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
B.S.M.E., Purdue University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, West Lafayette, IN, June 1968
M.S.M.E., Purdue University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, West Lafayette, IN, June 1970
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cambridge, MA, Feb. 1975
September 1970 - September 1971 Research Assistant
September 1971 - September 1972 Teaching Assistant
September 1972 - March 1975 Instructor
March 1975 - July 1975 Lecturer
July 1975 - July 1979 Assistant Professor
July 1979 - July 1981 Associate Professor without tenure
July 1981 - July 1989 Associate Professor with tenure
July 1989 - Present Full Professor
Consulting & Patents
September 1979 - January 1981 Automatix, Inc.
December 1984 - February 1987 Cognition, Inc.
April 1987 - March 1988 GlassTech, Inc.
January 1988 - December 1989 Premise, Inc.
September 1994 - September 2000 New Technologies, Inc.
September 1999 - Present Coventor, Inc.
- Patent #4,408,471- "Adaptive Pressbrake Control", Gossard, D.E., Hardt, D.E., Stelson, K.A., Allison, B.T., West, J.A., Webb, R.D. , October 11, 1983.
- Patent # 5,237,647 - "Computer Aided Drawing in Three Dimensions", Roberts, A.F., Sachs, E.M., Stoops, D. R., Ulrich, K. T., Siler, T., Gossard, D.C., Celniker, G.W., August 17, 1993.
E.I.T., Indiana, Certificate No. M68191
Principal Publications (last five years)
- Shimada, K. and Gossard, D., "Automatic triangular mesh generation of trimmed parametric surfaces for finite element analysis", Computer Aided Geometric Design, n15, pp 199-222, 1998.
- Chang, M. and Gossard, D., "Modeling the Assembly of Compliant, Non-ideal Parts", Computer-Aided Design, v29, n10, pp 701-708, 1997.
- Kumar, A. and Gossard, D., "Synthesis of Optimal Shape and Topology of Structures", Transactions of the ASME, v118, n1, pp. 68-74, March 1996.
- Fang, L. and Gossard, D., "Multidimensional curve-fitting to unorganized data points by nonlinear minimization", Computer-Aided Design, v27, n1, pp. 48-58, January 1995.
Honors & Awards
Society of Manufacturing Engineers Outstanding Young Engineer of the Year 1982
Department & Institute Committees
1982 - 1983 Chairman, Engineering Design Center Fund-raising Effort
1986 - 1988 Martin Design Center Computing Resources Committee
1988 - 1991 Academic Policy Committee
1991 - 1993 Head, Design and Controls Division
1991 - 1993 Academic Committee
1993 - 1994 Head, Design and Controls Division
1993 - 1994 Academic Committee
1996 - 1997 Head, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
1997 - Present Head, Design and Controls Division
1997 - Present Academic Committee
- Chairman, "First Annual Conference on Computer Graphics in CAD/CAM Systems", M.I.T., April 1979
- Chairman, "Conference on Computer Graphics in CAD/CAM Systems", M.I.T., March 1982
- International Program Committee, IFIP WG 5.2 Working Conference on Design Theory for CAD, Tokyo, Japan, October 1985
- Paper Reviewer and Session Chairman, ASME Conference on Computers in Engineering, Chicago, Illinois, July, 1986
- Organizing Committee, IFIP WG 5.2 Workshop on Intelligent CAD, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA, October 1987
- Advisory Board, Third Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, San Francisco, CA, August 1988.
- Member, Study Committee: "International Developments in Computer Science and Technology", Computer Science and Technology Board, National Academy of Science.
- Presenter, First Annual Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, 1995.