Cullen R. BuieAssistant Professor
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University. 2009
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2005
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2003
microfluidics, microbial fuel cells, biofuels, experimental fluid mechanics, multiphase flow
Honors and Awards
University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
Link Foundation Energy Fellowship
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
American Society of Mechanical Engineering
The Electrochemical Society
National Society of Black Engineers
Jan 2010, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
Oct 2008 - Dec 2009, Visiting Scientist, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
Oct 2008 - Dec 2009, Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
1. Joung, Y.S. and C.R. Buie, “Electrophoretic Deposition of Unstable Colloidal Suspensions for Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” Langmuir, 2011, 27, p. 4156.
2. Buie, C. R. and J.G. Santiago, “Two Phase Hydrodynamics in a Miniature Direct Methanol Fuel Cell,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2009, 52, p. 5158.
3. Litster, S., Buie, C. R., and J.G. Santiago, “Engineering Model for Coupling Wicks and Electroosmotic Pumps with Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells for Active Water Management,” Electrochimica Acta, 2009, 54, p. 6223.
4. Buie, C. R.; Kim, D.; Litster, S.; and J.G. Santiago, “An Electroosmotic Fuel Pump for Direct Methanol Fuel Cells,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 2007, 10, p. B196.
5. Litster, S., Buie, C. R., Fabian, T., Eaton, J. K., and J.G. Santiago, “Active Water Management for PEM Fuel Cells,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2007, 154, p. B1049.
6. Buie, C.R., Posner, J.D., Fabian, T., Cha, S.W., Kim, D., Prinz, F.B., Eaton, J.K., and J.G. Santiago, “Water Management in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells using Integrated Electroosmotic Pumping,” Journal of Power Sources, 2006, 161, p.191.