Anette (Peko) HosoiAssociate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Ph.D. in Physics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1997
M.A. in Physics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1994
A.B. in Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 1992
2006–present: Associate Professor, MIT
2004–2006: Doherty Professor in Ocean Utilization
2002–2006: Assistant Professor, MIT
1998–2000: Instructor, MIT (Department of Mathematics)
Other Related Experience:
Jul2000–Jul2002: Assistant Professor, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA
Jul2000–Jul2001: Visting Scholar, Courant Institute, New York, NY
Jun1998–Aug1998: Visiting Scholar, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Sep1997–Jan1998: NSF Postdoc Fellow, Courant Institute, New York, NY
Consulting, patents, etc.:
Patent Pending: Mechanical Crawler (MIT TLO Case No. 11298): Peristaltic Crawler based on marine pastropod locomotion.
Principal Publications in last five years:
- A.E. Hosoi and T. F. Dupont, "Layer formation in monodispersive suspensions colloids," J. Fluid Mech., 328, 1996, p. 297.
- T. F. Dupont and A.E. Hosoi, "Some reduced dimension models based on numerical methods," Modeling and Computation for Applications in Mathematics, Science and Engineering, Joseph W. Jerome (editor), Oxford University Press, 1998.
- A.E. Hosoi and L. Mahadevan, "Axial instability of a free-surface front in a partially-filled horizontal rotating cylinder," Phys. Fluids, 11(1), 1999, p. 97.
- A.E. Hosoi and J.W.M. Bush, "Evaporative instabilities in climbing films," J. Fluid Mech. 442, 2001, p. 217.
- J.J. Ashmore, A.E. Hosoi, and H.A. Stone, "The effect of surface tension on rimming flows in a partially filled rotating cylinder," J. Fluid Mech. 479, 2003, p. 65.
- N-H P. Duong, A. E. Hosoi, and T. Shinbrot. "Periodic knolls and valleys: coexistence of solid and liquid states in granular suspensions." PRL, 92(22), Art. No. 224502, 2004.
- R. Stocker and A. E. Hosoi "Corner Flow in Free Liquid Films." J. Eng. Math. 50, 2004, p. 267.
- J. Leblanc, J. Aristoff, A. E. Hosoi, and J. Bush. "Hydraulic jumps with broken symmetry." Phys. Fluids, 16(9), 2004.
- A. E. Hosoi and L. Mahadevan, "Dynamics of a fluid-lubricated elastic sheet." PRL 93(13), Art. No. 137802, 2004. (Also selected to appear in the October 11, 2004 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology and in the October 1, 2004 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research).
- R. Stocker and A. E. Hosoi "Lubrication in a Corner." J. Fluid Mech. 544, 2005, p. 353.
- J. Zhou, A.Bertozzi, B. Dupuy, and A. E. Hosoi. "Theory for shock dynamics in particle-laden thin films." PRL, 94(11), Art. No. 117803, 2005.
- A. E. Hosoi, D. Kogan, C. E. Devereaux, A. J. Bernoff, and S. M. Baker, "Two-dimensional self-assembly in diblock copolymers." PRL, 95(3), Art. No. 037801, 2005.
- B. Chan, N. J. Balmforth and A. E. Hosoi. "Building a better snail: Lubrication and gastropod locomotion." Physics of Fluids. 17, 113101, 2005. (Also selected to appear in the December 1, 2005 issue of Virual Journal of Biological Physics Research.)
- J. W. M. Bush, J. Aristoff, and A. E. Hosoi. "An experimental investigation of the stability of the circular hydraulic jump." J. Fluid Mech. 558, 2006, p. 33.
- T.S. Yu, E. Lauga, and A.E. Hosoi. "Experimental investigations of elastic tail propulsion at low Reynolds number." Accepted for publication in Phys. Fluids.
- J. Wilkening and A.E. Hosoi. "Shape optimization of swimming sheets." Accepted for publication in J. Fluid Mech.
Honors & Awards:
NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship (Fall 1997–Summer 2000)
Doherty Professorship in Ocean Utilization (Jul 2004–Jul 2006)
Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching (May 2005)
School of Engineering’s Junior Bose Award for Education (Jan 2006)