David R. WallaceProfessor of Mechanical Engineering
MacVicar Faculty Fellow
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Carleton University, Canada B.I.D. 1986
Carleton University, Canada B.Eng. 1989
Massachusetts Institute of Technology M.Sc. 1991
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Ph.D. 1994
Appointments Held at MII
Assistant Professor 1994 (Nov) 1999
Associate Professor (without tenure) 1999 2002
Associate Professor (with tenure) 2002 present
Honors & Awards
University Medal in Industrial Design, Carleton University,1986
Chancellor's Medal for outstanding academic achievement, 1989
1967 Scholar, National Science and Engineering, 1989
Research Council, Canada
Carl G. Sontheimer Prize for outstanding graduate research, MIT, 1991
MIT Karl Chang Fellowship, 1992
Volvo Environmental Research Award , 1995
Klegerman Award for Environmental Excellence in Teaching, 1995
Esther and Harold E. Edgerton Chair, MIT , 1996
ASME International Design Engineering Division, Design for 1998
Manufacturing Committee IBM Best Paper Award for
"Integrating Environmental Impact Assessment into Product Design"
Keenan Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Education, MIT, 2000
Honorary Advisory Professor, LG Electronics, 2000
Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching (School of Engineering), 2006
Baker Award for Excellence in Unndergraduate Teaching (Student nominated, Institute wide),2006
Journal Publications (past 5 years)
- Abrahamson, Shaun; David R. Wallace, Nicola Senin, and Peter Sferro, "Integrated Design in a Service Marketplace", Computer-aided Design 32, 97-107, 2000.
- Borland, Nicholas; and David R. Wallace, "Environmentally-conscious Product Design: a collaborative Internet-based modeling approach", Journal of Industrial Ecology 3, 2000.
- Kraines, Steven; David R. Wallace, and Hiroshi Komiyama, "Applications of DOME in Chemical Engineering", Journal of the Chemical Engineering Society of Japan, 16, 2000.
- Senin, Nicola; Roberto Groppetti, and David R. Wallace, "Concurrent Assembly Planning with Genetic Algorithms", International Journal of Product Design and Process Development 16, 2000.
- Sousa, Ines; Julie L. Eisenhard, and David R. Wallace, "Approximate Life-Cycle Assessment of Product Concepts using Learning Systems", Journal of Industrial Ecology, 4, 2000.
- Kraines, Steven; David R. Wallace, Yumiko Iwafune, Yoshikuni Yoshida, Toshiya Aramaki, Kazuhiko Kato, Keisuke Hanaki, Hisashi Ishitani, Tomonori Matsuo, Hiroshi Takahashi, Koichi Yamada, Kenji Yamaji, Yukio Yanagisawa, and Hiroshi Komiyama, "An Integrated Computational Infrastructure for a Virtual Tokyo: Concepts and Examples", Journal of Industrial Ecology, 5, 2001.
- Senin, Nicola; Roberto Gropetti, David R. Wallace, and Simone P. Ercolani, "Distributed Objects to Encapsulate Machine Tools in Integrated Design and Manufacturing Environments", International Journal of Agile Manufacturing, 4, 2001.
- Anderson, Johan; and David R. Wallace, "Pareto Optimization Using the Struggle Genetic Crowding Algorithm", Engineering Optimization, 34, 2002.
- J. H. Park; K. K. Seo, David R. Wallace, and K. I. Lee, "Approximate Product Life Cycle Costing Method for the Conceptual Product Design, Annals of the CIRP, 51, 2002.
- Kraines Steven; David R Wallace , Y Iwafune , Y Yoshida , T Aramaki , K Kato , K Hanaki , H Ishitani, T Matsuo, H Takahashi, K Yamada, K Yamaji, Y Yanagisawa, and H Komiyama, "An integrated computational infrastructure for a virtual Tokyo: concepts and examples", Journal of Industrial Ecology, 5(1), 2002.
- Senin, Nicola; David R. Wallace, and Nicolas Borland, "Distributed Object-based Modeling in Design Simulation Marketplace", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 125, 2003.
- Kraines Steven; and David R Wallace, "Sustainability technology evaluation in a regional context using distributed information technology", Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 27 (2): 143-161, 2003.
- Koyama, Michihisa; Steven Kraines, Kanako Tanaka, David R. Wallace, Koichi Yamada, and Hiroshi Komiyama, "Integrated Model Framework for the Evaluation of and SOFC/GT System as and Centralized Power Source", International Journal of Energy Research, 28, 2004.
- Kraines, Steven; Hitoshi Shigeoka, David R. Wallace, and H. Komiyama, "Collaboration Platform and Application to Household Waste Plastic Processing", International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation, 3 (2), 2004.
- Evans, Mark; David R. Wallace, David Cheshire, and Bahar Sener, "An evaluation of haptic modeling feedback during industrial design practice", Design Studies, 26 (5), 2005. http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0142694X04000717
- Kraines, Steven; Rafael Batres, Michihisa Koyama, David R. Wallace, and H. Komiyama, "Internet-based collaboration for integrated environmental assessment in industrial ecology", accepted for publication in The Journal of Industrial Ecology, 2005.
- Kraines Steven; M. Koyama, C. Weber, T. Ikaga, T. Chikamoto, David R. Wallace, and H Komiyama. "A collaborative platform for sustainable building design based on model integration over the Internet", International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation, 2/3, 2005. http://www.inderscience.com/search/index.php?action=record&rec_id=6847&prevQuery=&ps=10&m=or
- Sousa, Ines; and David R. Wallace, "Product Classification to Support Approximate Life-Cycle Assessment of Design Concepts", Journal Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 2006.
International Society of Industrial Ecology
American Association of Computing Machinery special interest group in Evolutionary Optimization