Ian W. HunterProfessor of Mechanical Engineering
George N. Hatsopoulos Professor in Thermodynamics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Ph.D., University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1980
DCP, University of Auckland, 1976 .
MSc 1st class honors, University of Auckland, 1975
BSc, University of Auckland, 1974
1996-Present Hatsopoulos Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
1998-2005 Professor of BioEngineering, Division of BioEngineering and Envir. Health
1995-Present Co-director, Information Systems and Technology Laboratory.
1994-1996 Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Other Related Experience:
1990-1994 Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, McGill University.
1990-1995 Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIAR).
1989-1994 Project Director, Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems (IRIS)
1988-1994 Associate Member, Department of Electrical Engineering, McGill University
1986-1994 Member, McGill Research Centre for Intelligent Machines (McRCIM).
1985-1989 Assistant Professor, Department Biomedical Engineering, McGill University
1985-1994 Associate Member, Department of Physiology, McGill University.
1984-1985 Research Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Unit, McGill University.
1980-1981 Faculty of Medicine Post-doctoral Fellow, Biomedical Engineering, McGill Univ.
Partial List of Patents Issued, most recent:
- Hunter, I.W., "Measuring Properties of an Anatomical Body," U.S. Patent 8,105,270 B2, January 31, 2012.
- Hunter, I.W., Hemond, B.D., Wendell, D.M., Hogan, N.C., Taberner, A.J., Ball, N.B., “Needle-Free Injector Device with Autoloading Capability,” U.S. Patent 8,172,790 B2, May 8, 2012
- Hunter, I.W., "Measuring Properties of an Anatomical Body," Canada Patent 2497815, issued June 11, 2012
- Angel, A.B., Hunter, I.W., “Microneedle Transdermal Transport Device,” U.S. Patent 8,246,582, issued August 21, 2012.
- Hunter, I.W., Hemond, B.D., Wendell, D.M., Hogan, N.C., Taberner, A.J., and Ball, N.B., “Needle-free transdermal transport device,” Japan Patent 5113532, issued October 19, 2012.
- Hunter, I.W., Taberner, A.J., Hemond, B.D., Wendell, D.M., Hogan, N.C., Ball, N.B., “Controlled Needle-Free Transport,” U.S. Patent 8,328,755, issued December 11, 2012.
- Hunter, I.W., “Electric Generator,” U.S. Patent 8,362,660 B2, issued January 29, 2013.
- Hunter, I.W., Taberner, A.J., Hogan, N.C., “Method & Apparatus for Extraction of a Sample from a Sample Source,” US Patent 8,398,583, issued March 19, 2013.
- Angel, A.B., Hunter, I.W., “Microneedle Transport Device,” Canada Patent 2464483, issued April 2, 2013.
- Hunter, I.W., Hemond, B.D., Wendell, D.M., Hogan, N.C., Taberner, A.J., and Ball, N.B., “Needle-free Injector Device with Autoloading Capability,” Japan Patent 5284962, issued June 7, 2013.
- Hunter, I.W., “Electric Motor,” U.S Patent 8,519,575, issued August 27, 2013.
- Hunter, I.W., “Tunable Pneumatic Suspension,” US Patent 8,585,062, issued November 19, 2013.
- Hunter, I.W., Fofonoff, T., “Electric Coil and Method of Manufacture,” U.S. Patent 8,624,699, issued January 7, 2014.
- Banik, M.S., Boulais, D.R., Couvillon, Jr., L.A., Chin, A.C., Hunter, I.W., “Articulation Joint,” US Patent 8,622,894 B2, issued January 7, 2014.
Principal Publications (last five years):
- Forest, C.R., Woodruff, B., Buckley, D., Thilly, W.G., Hunter, I.W., “Assembly and Constraint Technology for Large Arrays of Capillaries,” Precision Engineering, 33, 275-283, 2009.
- Tangorra, J., Lauder, G., Hunter, I., Mittal, R., Madden, P., Bozkurttas, M., “The Effect of Fin Ray Flexural Rigidity on the Propulsive Forces Generated by a Biorobotic Fish Pectoral Fin,” Journal of Experimental Biology 213, 4034-4054, doe:10.1242/jeb.048017, 2010.
- Pillai, P.V., Hunter, I.W., and Hernandez, E. "Application of Stochastic System Identification to the Study of the Compliance of Electroactive Polymers," Review of Scientific Instruments, 2010, 82 (2) 025103, 6 pp., February 2011.
- Hemond, B.D, Taberner, A.J., Hogan, N.C., Crane, B., Hunter, I.W., “Development and Performance of a Controllable Autoloading Needle-free Jet Injector,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 5 015001, March 2011, DOI: 10.1115/1.4003330.
- Chang, J.H. and Hunter, I.W., “A Superhydrophobic to Superhydrophilic In Situ Wettability Switch of Microstructured Polypyrrole Surfaces,” Journal of Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 32(9-10), 718-723, May 2011.
- Ruddy, B., and Hunter, I., “Design and Optimization Strategies for Muscle-like Direct Drive Linear Permanent Magnet Motors,” The International Journal of Robotics Research 30(7): 834-845, 2011.
- Belden, J., Staats, W., Mazumdar, A., and Hunter, I., "A Portable Air Jet Actuator Device for Mechanical System Identification," Review of Scientific Instruments, 82, 035106 pp.1-9, March 2011, DOI: 10.1063/1.3562894.
- Taberner A.J., Hogan, N.C., Hunter, I.W., “Real-time-feedback-controlled Needle-free Jet Injection Using Linear Lorentz-force Motors,” Journal of Medical Engineering Physics, 34:1228-1235, 2012.
- Hemond, B., Hunter, I.W., Hughey, B.J., and Jones, L.A., “MICA: An Innovative Approach to Remote Data Acquisition,” IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, 15 (5),22-27, October 2012.
- Chen, Y., and Hunter, I.W., “Stochastic System Identification of Skin Properties: Linear and Wiener Static Nonlinear Method,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 40(10): 2277-2291, 2012 [http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-012-0580-x].
- Sandford, E., Chen, Y., Hunter, I.W., Hillebrand, G., and Jones, L., ”Capturing Skin Properties from Dynamic Mechanical Analyses,” Journal of Skin Research and Technology, 19: e339–e348, 2013, [http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0846.2012.00649.x].
- Chen, Y., and Hunter, I.W., “Nonlinear Stochastic System Identification of Skin Using Volterra Kernels,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, published on-line December 22, 2012, 41(4), 847-862, April 2013.
Scientific & Professional Societies:
American Association for the Advancement of Science Member
Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers Member
Biophysical Society Member
American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering Member
Honors & Awards, Partial List:
1990 Outstanding Young Canadian Biomedical Engineer of the Year Award.
1995 General Motors R& D Academic Research Fellow
1999 Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
2003 Honorary Professorship, Bio-Engineering Institute, University of Auckland, New Zealand
2004 Keenan Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Education
2004 Amar Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching
2007 Den Hartog Distinguished Educator Award
Institutional and Professional Service in the last five years:
1998-Present MIT, Director, BioInstrumentation Laboratory
2008-Present MIT, Dept. Mechanical Engineering Graduate Policy Committee
2009-Present MIT, Dept. Mechanical Engineering Graduate Program Committee (MEGPC).
2008-2012 MIT, Dept. Mechanical Engineering Den Hartog Award Selection Committee
2009-2009 MIT, School of Engineering, Bose Award Selection Committee
2010-2010 MIT, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Ad Hoc Promotion Committee
2010-2011 MIT, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering Search Committee
2011-2012 MIT, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering Search Committee
2011-2012 MIT, Dept. Mechanical Enineering, Core Curriculum Study Group
2012-2012 MIT, Dept. Mechanical Engineering Promotion Review Committee
2012-2013 MIT, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Bioengineering Search Committee (Chair)
2013-2013 MIT, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Department Head Search Committee