H. Harry AsadaFord Professor of Engineering
Director, d'Arbeloff Laboratory for Information Systems and Technology
Head, Control, Instrumentation, and Robotics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139-4307
Robotics, Biomedical Engineering, Dynamic Systems and Control, Information Technology, Design, and Manufacturing
Dynamic Systems and Control; Robotics; Intelligent Control
S.B. Mechanical Engineering, Kyoto University, 1973
S.M. Precision Engineering, Kyoto University, 1975
Ph.D. Precision Engineering, Kyoto University, 1979
Sept. 1996 - Present: Ford Professor of Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
July 1995 - Present: Director, Alex d'Arbeloff Laboratory for Information Systems and Technology, MIT
July 1990 - Present: Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of technology
Jan. 1989 - June 1990: Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Sept. 1985 - Jan. 1989: Associate Professor, Department of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Division of Applied Systems Science, Kyoto University
April 1982 - Aug. 1985: Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Aug. 1980 - Feb. 1982: Visiting Research Scientist, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Melon University
April 1978 - March 1982: Research Associate, Kyoto University
1. Asada, H., and Slotine, J. -J.E., "Robot Analysis and Control", John Wiley and Sons, 1986.
2. Asada, H. and Youcef-Toumi, "Direct-Drive Robots", MIT Press, 1986.
3. Asada, H., and Youcef-Toumi, K., "Analysis and Design of a Direct-Drive Arm with Five-Bar-Link Parallel Drive Mechanism", ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 106-3, pp. 225-230. 1984.
4. Asada, H., and By, A.B., "Kinematic Analysis of Workpart Fixturing for Flexible Assembly with Automatically Reconfigurable Fixtures", IEEE J. Robotics and Automation, Vol. RA-1, No. 2, pp. 1-9, 1985
5. Asada, H., and Kakumoto, Y., "The Dynamic Analysis and Design of a High-Speed Insertion Hand Using the Generalized Centroid and Virtual Mass", ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 112-4, pp. 646-654, Dec. 1990.
6. Liu, S., and Asada, H., "Transferring Manipulative Skills to Robots: Representation and Acquisition of Tool Manipulative Skills Using a Process Dynamics Model", ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 114-2, pp. 220-228 June 1992.
7. Asada, H., Federspiel, C.C., and Liu, S., "Human Centered Control in Robotics and Consumer Product Design", ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 115-2(B), pp. 271-280, June 1993.
8. McCarragher, B.J., and Asada, H., "Qualitative Template Matching Using Dynamic Process Models for State Transition Recognition of Robotic Assembly", ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 115-2(A), pp. 261-269, June 1993.
9. West, A.M., and Asada, H., "Design of Ball Wheel Mechanisms for Omnidirectional Vehicles with Full Mobility and Invariant Kinematics", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 1995.
10. Pil, Anton, and H. Asada, H., "Integrated Structure/Control Design of Mechatronic Systems", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, September 1996.
11. Yang, B-H. and Asada, H., "Progressive Learning and Its Application to Robot Impedance Learning", IEEE Transaction on Neural Networks, 1996, Vol. 7, No. 4, July 1996.
12. Lee, S., and Asada, H., "A Perturbation/Correlation Method for Force Guided Robot Assembly", IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.15, No.4, pp.764-773, 1999.
13. Spano, J., and Asada, H., "Kinematic Analysis and Design of Surface Wave Distributed Actuators with Application to a Powered Bed for Bedridden Patients", IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.16, No.2, 2000
14. Gordon, B., Liu, S., and Asada, H., "Singularly Perturbed Sliding Manifolds for Modelling and Realization of Differential-Algebraic Systems", accepted for publication in the International Journal of Control, 2000.
15. Rhee, S.W., Yang, B.H., and Asada, H., "Artifact-Resistant, Power-Efficient Design of Finger-Ring Plethysmographic Sensors", IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering, Vol.48, No.7, pp.795-805, July 2001.
16. Asada, H, Shaltis P, Reisner A, Rhee S, Hutchinson RC., " Wearable PPG-BioSensors", IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 28-40, 2003.
17. Mascaro, S. and Asada, H., "Measurement of Finger Posture and Three-Axis Fingertip Touch Force Using Fingernail Sensors", IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation,Vol. 19, 2003.
18. Zhang, Y. and Asada, H., "Blind System Identification of Non-Coprime Multi-Channel Systems and Its Application to Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Monitoring", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.126, No.4, December 2004.
19. Selden, B., Cho, K.-J., and Asada, H., “Segmented Shape Memory Alloy Actuators Using Hysteresis Loop Control”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, Vol.15, No.2,pp.642-652, February 2006.
20. Cho, K.-J., and Asada, H., “Architecture Design of a Multi-Axis Cellular Actuator Array Using Segmented Binary Control of Shape Memory Alloy”, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp.831-842, Aug. 2006.
21. Wade, E., and Asada, H., “Broadcasting Modem Hardware Design Using DC Power Bus Communication”, IEEE/ASME transactions on Mechatronics, Volume 11, Issue 5, Pages 533-540, Oct. 2006.
22. Mascaro, S. and Asada, H., “The Common Patterns of Blood Perfusion in the Fingernail Bed Subject to Fingertip Touch Force and Finger Posture,” Haptics-e: The Electronic Journal of Haptics Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1-6, 2006.
23. Wade, E., and Asada, H., "Conductive Fabric Garment for a Cable-Free Body Area Network: Conductivity Analysis for DC Power-Line Communication over Fabric Media", Accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Pervasive Computing, Special issue on pervasive computing in health care, December 2006.
24. Ueda, J., Odhner, L. and Asada, H., “Broadcast Feedback of Stochastic Cellular Actuators Inspired by Biological Muscle Control”, accepted for publication in International Journal of Robotics Research, Special Issue on Bio-Robotics, February 2007.
Scientific and Professional Societies
Honors and Awards
1. Best Paper Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, August 1979
2. Best Paper Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, August 1984
3. SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, September 1984
4. O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper Award, American Control Council, June 1985
5. Y. Sawaragi Best Paper Award, Japanese Associate of Automatic Control Engineers, May 1988
6. Best Paper Award, Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, July 1990
7. Best Paper Award, 1993 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, June 1993
8. Best Paper Award, 1995 ASME Heat Pump Symposium, November 1995
9. Ford Professor of Engineering, School of Engineering, MIT, September 1996
10. Kayamori Best Paper Award, Automation Theory and Application, 1997 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, April 1997
11. Dynamic Systems and Control Outstanding Researcher Award, ASME, November 1998
12. Best Paper Award, 1999 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May 1999
13. ASME Fellow, Dynamic Systems and Control Division, September 2001
14. Best Journal Paper Award, Advanced Robotics, October 2002
Professional Development Activities
Stochastic recruitment and broadcast feedback, May 2005-Present, Principal Investigator
Vast DOF robotic systems, Oct.2002-Present, Principal Investigator
Wearable blood pressure sensors, Sept.2002-Present, Principal Investigator
Fingernail Sensors, Oct.1998-June 2005, Principal Investigator
Wearable Health Monitoring Systems, Oct.1997-Present, Principal Investigator
Intelligent Control of Building Energy Systems, Jan.1989 - Feb. 2005, Principal Investigator
Home Automation and Healthcare, Oct.1995 - Sept.2002, Principal Investigator
PC-Based NC Control, Oct. 1995 - Sept. 1998, Principal Investigator
Co-Simulation of Dynamical Systems, April 1997-Sept.2001, Principal Investigator
Leaders for Manufacturing Program: June 1989 - June 1993
Robotic Assembly: Sept. 1985 - March 1993, Principal Investigator
Design and Control of Direct-Drive Robots: Sept. 1980 - Aug. 1985, Principal investigator
The sponsors of these projects include National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, Office of Naval Research, US Army, CIMIT, Boeing Corporation, Sharp, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Marquette Medical Equipment, Hill-Rom, Gillette/Braun, Matsushita Electric Industrial, Matsushita Electric Works, Shin-Nippon Koki, Daikin, Denso, Toshiba, Samsung, Daewoo Heavy Industries, MPM, NIRO, Shimadzu, Toyota Motor, Ford Motor, GM, Kolon Glotech, Motorola, and Delco Electronics.